Segment & syllabus quizzes
1 point for each correct answer 240 points possible (approx)
Studio class attendance (fall, spring students only)
5 points for each full class attended
-1 point if tardy and -1 point if leave early 125 points possible (approx)
Discussion Board Activity (Online Summer Students Only)
5 points for each meaningful* response to another student's post (see additional info on this
page) 125 points possible
GRAND TOTAL: 365 points
REDEEMING POINTS FOR REWARDS
Erase a late fee 50 points
Increase total class activity grade by 5% 75 points
Increase SARA video grade by 5% 75 points
Increase self-assessment project by 5% 150 points
Drop the final exam 250 points
Terms and Conditions
1. There is no limit on how many late fees you can erase
2. Bonus points cannot increase a grade beyond 100%
3. Rewards can only be used once on a given assignment. For example, you cannot erase a late fee on the self-assessment project AND then increase the grade by 5%
4. Please do not ask me to figure out which actions will maximize your final grade. I am lousy at math.
5. To redeem bonus points, you must wait until I tell you how many points you've earned. This will happen at the end of the semester. Then you need to complete the Canvas assignment "Redeeming Bonus Points" by the due date. Once redeemed, the action cannot be undone.
Calculating your bonus points
Go to Canvas and click on "grades". Scroll down to the bottom. Add two numbers together: "Bonus point activities" and "module segment quizzes". The sum of these two numbers are your bonus points. IMPORTANT: do not add % You must add the points.
* Meaningful responses to posts - summer students only
Non-meaningful responses are those that do little to expand the discussion in constructive or helpful ways. Some examples include saying things like "Cool", "I agree", "I disagree", or "Maybe try something different".
Meaningful responses are those that are relevant and specific to the post, and that provide: i. suggestions or examples to help further understand/explore the topic ii. additional information that provides a different interpretation or new perspective on the information, or iii. implications of the information in the post. Make sure you read through the discussion thread to be relevant and not duplicate someone else's response.
Responses MUST be polite and respectful! To be mindful of people's time, please be concise.
Important: If you respond multiple times to the same person's post - this is great! However, you will only earn 5 points. If you want to earn more points in any given week, you need to respond to OTHER students' posts. For each additional student, you will earn an additional 5 points.